Redesigning Eurosport from the Ground Up

The problem

Eurosport is an advertisement supported sports coverage provider. Founded in 1989 it operates in 67 countries and 10 languages serving around 200 million people a year.

I joined in the run up to the PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics, the rights to which they held as part of a larger $1Billion deal making them the official Olympics broadcaster for all Europe until 2024.

Following the successful delivery of PeyongChang 2018 it became clear that we could work more efficiently and that the Eurosport IA, which was now many years old was ready to be revisited.

In addition to streamlining Eurosport we also wanted to merge in the sister streaming service Eurosport Player. Research showed that the existing proposition was confusing for consumers as they needed to visit two sites with two different sets of credentials which allowed them access to two different sets of features respectively.

The process

I began by auditing the existing Eurosport IA and sitemaps to rationalise what was required and what we could cut from the start.

As with many services the site map had grown over the years as the business explored different initiatives and experimented with their proposition.

To begin I guided the product team through mapping the main tasks people use Eurosport for and prioritising them. We were fortunate enough to have analytics to inform us of what people are doing on the service. It's important to start here, as it provides focus to the product from the foundations up. It would be easy to just categorise the content we have available and create a menu system allowing people to navigate through it, however without an intention for how you want people to use your product the solution wouldn't be meaningfully answerable to any measurable metric.

The key reasons people use Eurosport are to keep unto date with scores, read the latest news, watch live events as well as watching full event replays. In general they're interesting in one or two sports and as you would expect traffic spike during specific tournaments where Eurosport has the coverage rights.

Working with stakeholders from around the business told me which parts of the site they were no longer married to and where the new structure could help support the strategy they were now pursuing.

In addition to removing sections the new structure also needed to support content discovery. The existing service had a mixture of written journalism, short form video content as well as A number of Eurosport's own web series called Eurosport Originals. This is already a lot of content to navigate and considering we also intended to add Eurosport Player to the mix returning and new users alike would require a helping hand finding their way around.

Taking it one step further

As Eurosport operates on a global scale with local teams creating varying levels of content for their regions, we wanted what we were building to be as modular and reusable as possible.

To solve this we looked to employ atomic design principles at a UI level building up to templates which we would then attribute to different destinations around the service.

To begin we were aggressively reductive in our approach trying to reuse templates as much as possible. Why do a homepage and a search results page have to be different? They both serve the same purpose of displaying a varying mixture of content after all... Ultimately we would add a new template where we thought it was necessary but much like salt in cooking, it's easier to add later than to take away.

Bringing it all to life

Up until now this had mostly been theoretical, shifting boxes and arrows around on screens. However for it to really mean something it needs to be tested.

I put together an InVision prototype which expressed the new IA on mobile. Recruiting users through UserTesting.com we set tasks for them to complete based on the key jobs we know users come to Eurosport to complete.

Overall the model performed well, users were able to find sport and tournament coverage easily. There were some issues with the terminology used for secondary use cases, such as changing the site region or how to contact us. However key tasks like finding the latest scores or full event replays were completed without issue. Some who were existing Eurosport users even commented on how easy it was to find content now.

Below is the prototype used in testing.